Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Mono mono ho ho ho

So the other day I noticed that my lymph nodes looked something like Frankenstein's screws in the side of his neck. When I went to do yoga with Beka on Monday night I told her to feel them, her automatic response, "Dude, I don't need to. I can see them from here." I wasn't really worried about it, I just kind of assumed it was strep or some weird flu-ish thing. Nonetheless Beka told Mommy dear and I got a call that night from her telling me I should go and see the doctor tomorrow.


When I woke up the next morning they still felt huge so I called the Doc's Office and asked when I could some in. After work, around two, I went there and they were able to take me within the hour. She did some preliminary tests like blood pressure and what not. She also tested for strep and mono. Once she was done she told me to grab a seat in the hallway and the nurse practitioner would come and get me in a moment. When she called me in she was really nice and just kind of asked me where I was from and what not. Then she goes, "Well, okay. You were positive for mono. Come up to the table and let me look for some signs." I was like you must be shitting me. I just got into doing yoga, I am sooooo close to getting crow position down. She told me I can't do yoga, can't go to the gym or do any physical activity really until the end of the semester. I wanted to start crying. It took every ounce in my body not to. I'm also not allowed to have tylenol, alcohol or kiss.

Later when I saw Matt we ran up and hugged each other and I was like "I have some bad news" he said, "what is it?" ....."I have mono." He wasn't even phased. Not at all. I told him we wouldn't be able to kiss because we could get his mom sick and she recently went through some rough surgeries. Not that he cared of course, later that night he went "Laura, I'm simply going to tell you. I'm not not going to kiss you for four weeks, it's physically impossible." I don't think I've smiled so big in all my life. That really made my day. So we slept together and I had to get up early for class.

Funnily enough I feel pretty okay today. Matt some how calmed me down and I'm not walking through campus crying about the fact that I basically can't do physical activity (because my spleen could rupture) when bikini season is literally next month. I am pretty pissed about that. Apparently, I have had mono for the last like month and just have been unaware of it. Corrine is freaking out, all worried she will have spread it to everyone she's been doing hookah with and sharing her Rikaloff with as well. I was like "Corrine, you probably don't have it. I have it. Ya need to chillax."

So..this is my life. Doc says next week will be the hardest. I already took four naps yesterday. I don't have time for naps today because it's Beka's birthday and we're all going out to dinner right after I get out of class this afternoon. Then we are going home to open her presents and then I am going to plop right in my BIG huge non-dorm sized bed and pass the fuck out.

On top of everything, it's raining.

Oh, also I gave my speech today about the brutal killings of dolphins in Japan. The class seemed interested. Not that I give a shit what they think about it. It's obviously horrible and from the look on my professors face she thought so too and that's all that matters.

I can't remember if I mentioned it already or not, but I'm taking Matt to NYC for his birthday since he's never gone before. I'm super psyched about it because I've been to NYC but not really for just tourist reasons. So i definitely want to hit up times square, Rockefeller center and all that mumbo jumbo when we go. He doesn't know I'm taking him, so I had to keep it on the super down lown which involved calling in at his work to get time off for him. His boss seemed understanding. Eeeee. So excited.

Anyway, I'm at work so I'll keep you all posted on my mono status as time goes. Don't expect much from my disease body though. (joke.)


No comments:

Post a Comment